jdavies.blogspot

Old blog, since 2002. Haven't updated in more than decade. Keeping it online for nostalgia feels.

Chess Lovers Should Read This

Digg!

It is said that of all board games and all of sports combined, there is not one game that can eclipse the literature written about chess. I have been playing chess since I was 7 but I got my first tutorial when I was 9. This doesn't make me a grandmaster though, merely a fan of the masters and an avid player.

It took me till high school to discover notation, and further advance. If I only knew how fascinating chess is, I would have read more in the years prior. Recently I have been brushing up on an opening repertoire and more or less trying to revive my chess skills if there was any left. After all, it was more like several years without any games.

Only recently have I discovered the best tools to improve my game: I'm using Chessmaster and K-Light(the usual tactics trainer softwares) even if I knew that existed since Kasparov knows when; ChessBase (the database for variations and position analysis and Fritz). I don't know my ELO rating, but I would say I'm an intermediate player and therefore average. I lose quite alot versus the computer since I play mostly gambits... so I'm working for better.

In the future I'l secure a copy of Chessmaster T610 for my phone so I can play a good game on idle moments, instead of them usual Atari arcades. Online, I check www.chesslive.de for games and opening variations. It's a very good database of historical games by the masters. One only needs to search for positions, or moves, and you get a database result with all games playing that opening, or whatever. Any chess lover will find that useful.

Makes me wonder how's Chess in the Philippines? I got a bit inspired knowing Paragua got his GM norm, and I hope there's more people who will be involved in chess. See, I've seen lots of people in the barrios and in the sub-urbs - in terminals and in tambayans --- lot's of people love chess. Unlike how it was in my high school games wherein we take note of games and analyze the variations, most chessers just see it as a game to while away time - or earn a few bucks. Normal for the master s and those competing --- it's not everybody's hobby really.

There's not too many who take it for it's scholarly side. I hope that will elevate chess a bit if we make people see it that way.

posted by Jdavies @ 10/08/2004,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Author

J.Davies

Jdavies lives in Quezon City, Philippines and has been blogging since 2002. A brand manager in a leading technology company and a freelance new media/web strategy consultant, he has refocused his blogging from personal, political & sociological observations, to marketing-related efforts and Internet trends that are relevant to his career and branding advocacies.


About This Blog

This blog is a depot of thoughts and observations on marketing trends which remain personally relevant to the Author as far as his marketing career is concerned. Having evolved from the personal blog of Jdavies, much of the earlier work contained herein are laced with personal speculation, political views, and similar advocacies. These posts are being kept for posterity's sake and for no other reason. No effort is being made to claim that the author will not contradict himself from his previous positions or that such advocacies are absolute.

Contact

Request access to my Linked-in Profile


Web This Blog

Email me whenever the site is updated:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Links

Archives

Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates